Last Updated: Fri Dec 17, 2021 - 2:34AM
Undefeated Thomas Jefferson proved too much for Greater Latrobe on Thursday, as the Jaguars claimed a 6-1 victory at the Kirk Nevin Arena in Greensburg.
As a result, the Jaguars improved to 9-0-0, remaining the only unblemished team in the PIHL Class AA. The Wildcats, meanwhile, dropped to 5-5-0, still residing in fourth in the East Conference with 10 points.
Thomas Jefferson’s leading goal scorer, Colby Bilski, added to his total just 1:51 into the contest, as he deposited a backhand past Greater Latrobe netminder Vinny Amatucci for his 10th of the season. The Jaguars struck again approximately eight minutes later, as Andrew Oliver finished a pass from Landon Hintemeyer to put TJ ahead 2-0.
Greater Latrobe responded shortly thereafter, though, courtesy of its powerplay, as Peyton Myers and Fletcher Harvey combined to generate an opportunity on goal, and JD Robinson pounced on the rebound on the right side to make it 2-1.
The middle stanza then proved decisive, as Lance Smith struck less than four minutes into it to restore Thomas Jefferson’s two-goal edge. Pavel Sidun added another marker for the Jaguars, and the backbreaker came on a Greater Latrobe powerplay, as Lance Smith intercepted a pass and then dished to Oliver for a shorthanded tap-in goal.
The only tally of the third period came courtesy of Thomas Jefferson’s Ryder McGuirk, who tapped in a perfect feed from Oliver with 10:46 left to account for the final score.
While Robinson netted his fifth goal of the season for GL, Amatucci recorded 29 saves in the defeat.
Conversely, Thomas Jefferson was led by Oliver, who had two goals and an assist, while Bilski and Lance Smith each contributed a goal and an assist. Billy Siemon registered 16 stops between the pipes.
With one game remaining before the holiday break, Greater Latrobe faces another significant challenge, traveling to play Meadville Area on Tuesday. The Bulldogs (8-2-0) are in second place in the West Division, behind only Thomas Jefferson.
- Penn-Trafford cruises to 10-4 victory at Hempfield Area Thursday Josh Goldberg nets a hat trick for the Warriors finishing with four points
- Thomas Jefferson too much for Latrobe in 6-1 loss Thursday The Jaguars are the lone undefeated team in Class AA this season
- Norwin claims key division win over Kiski Area Monday The first place Knights scored four unanswered goals in the 7-4 victory
- Penn-Trafford deals Franklin Regional first loss of season Monday The Warriors reeled off four goals in the first period in the 7-1 victory
- Coffee scores in shootout to lift Latrobe to 3-2 win over Armstrong Wildcats deal Riverhawks first loss of season