Last Updated: Mon Jan 10, 2022 - 2:07AM
Greater Latrobe won the Westmoreland County Coaches Association Wrestling Tournament team title for the first time since 2012, finishing with 252 points in the two-day tournament at Kiski Area.
Capturing titles for the Wildcats were Luke Willochell (106), Leo Joseph (113), Vinny Kilkeary (120) and Jack Pletcher (152). Kilkeary secured his second county title defeating Penn-Trafford's Troy Hohman while Pletcher, a senior, won his first gold medal as he topped Norwin's Chase Kranitz 4-2 in sudden victory. In addition to the four winners, the Wildcats also had four other wrestlers compete in the finals.
Hempfield Area earned a second place finish, ending the tournament with 188 points. Ethan Lebin (126), Eli Carr (132) and Briar Priest (138) were the Spartans champions. Priest became only the 58th wrestler in the 68-year history of the WCCA tournament to claim his third county title. Priest defeated Greater Latrobe's Nate Roth by decision 10-3 after Roth topped Priest during a dual match earlier in the week.
Elsewhere, Franklin Regional's Finn Solomon and Mount Pleasant's Dayton Pitzer each captured their second WCCA titles. Solomon edged Hempfield's Lucas Kapusta by a 2-1 decision at 145 pounds while Pitzer pinned Corey Boerio of Greater Latrobe in the 215-pound final. It was one of three falls recorded by Pitzer in the tournament.
Kiski Area came in third place in the team race with 159.5 points followed by Penn-Trafford with 152 points and Franklin Regional which tallied 146.
106: Luke Willochell (Latrobe) F Ty Kapusta (Franklin Regional), 4:33
113: Leo Joseph (Latrobe) F Giovanni Beatrice (Derry), 0:45
120: Vinny Kilkeary (Latrobe) DEC Troy Hohman (Penn Trafford), 3-1 SV
126: Ethan Lebin (Hempfield) MD Hayden Coy (Penn Trafford), 9-0
132: Eli Carr (Hempfield) F Ryan Klingensmith (Kiski Area), 3:27
138: Briar Priest (Hempfield) DEC Nate Roth (Latrobe), 10-3
145: Finn Solomon (Franklin Regional) DEC Lucas Kapusta (Hempfield), 2-1
152: Jack Pletcher (Latrobe) DEC Chase Kranitz (Norwin), 4-2 SV
160: Enzo Morlacci (Kiski Area) DEC Wesley Stull (Penn Trafford), 10-6
172: Logan Hoffman (Belle Vernon) DEC Sam Snyder (Latrobe), 7-0
189: Juliano Marion (Franklin Regional) DEC Owen Ott (Penn Trafford), 3-2
215: Dayton Pitzer (Mount Pleasant) F Corey Boerio (Latrobe), 1:20
285: Billy McChesney (Greensburg Salem) F Wyatt Held (Latrobe), 1:40
- Westmoreland Where Are They Now? Nico Megaludis The former Franklin Regional and Penn State national champ is now a financial advisor
- McKillop takes reins of Penn-Trafford wrestling program The former Burrell standout served as an assistant at PT for the past three seasons
- Recruiting Thursday: Mount Pleasant's Noah Gnibus The Vikings standout wrestler commits to Pitt-Johnstown
- GCC's Brewer, Mount Pleasant's Pitzer win Driscoll awards Brewer and Pitzer were selected from a pool of 36 student-athletes
- Westmoreland Alumni Q&A with Isaac Reid The former Kiski Area standout wrestler has posted a 22-3 record at Lock Haven this year