Last Updated: Fri Jan 07, 2022 - 3:34AM
Scoring three unanswered goals in the first period, and five in a row in the second, Penn-Trafford cruised to a 10-4 victory against host Hempfield Area on Thursday night at the Kirk Nevin Arena in Greensburg.
In sweeping the season series against the Spartans, the Warriors improved to 8-2-0, with 16 points. Hempfield Area, meanwhile, fell to 4-7-1, with nine points.
Penn-Trafford opened the scoring just more than 10 minutes into the contest on a Ben Chen goal, and Bennett Dupilka and Alex Sciullo followed with tallies shortly thereafter. However, Hempfield Area’s Nicholas Bruno scored with just 11 seconds left in the opening period, trimming the Spartans’ deficit to 3-1.
That late marker did not yield any momentum for the home team in the middle stanza, though, as the Warriors netted five unanswered goals, including two on the powerplay. During the surge, Josh Goldberg scored twice, while Carter Scholze, Ryan Crombie, and Bryce Kropczynski also lit the lamp. Tyler Planey scored a late marker in the period for the Spartans, as PT held an 8-2 lead at the intermission.
While the outcome was already decided heading into the third period, a player on each team registered a hat trick in the frame. After Nate Loughner extended the Warriors’ lead on another powerplay marker, Goldberg scored once again to complete the hat trick, making it 10-2. The final two goals came courtesy of Hempfield Area’s Bruno, who tallied just 17 seconds apart to finish the night with three markers.
In addition to his three goals, Goldberg added an assist to finish with a team-leading four points, while Scholze and Loughner each had a goal and two helpers. Jackson Kerrigan earned the win in net, making 23 stops.
Bruno also accounted for an assist in addition to his hat trick, while Zachary Ridilla produced a pair of assists for the Spartans. Chase Sankey took the loss between the pipes, as he made 22 saves.
Both teams return to the ice on Monday, as Penn-Trafford hosts Butler Area, while Hempfield Area plays on the road against Mars Area.
- Penn-Trafford cruises to 10-4 victory at Hempfield Area Thursday Josh Goldberg nets a hat trick for the Warriors finishing with four points
- Thomas Jefferson too much for Latrobe in 6-1 loss Thursday The Jaguars are the lone undefeated team in Class AA this season
- Norwin claims key division win over Kiski Area Monday The first place Knights scored four unanswered goals in the 7-4 victory
- Penn-Trafford deals Franklin Regional first loss of season Monday The Warriors reeled off four goals in the first period in the 7-1 victory
- Coffee scores in shootout to lift Latrobe to 3-2 win over Armstrong Wildcats deal Riverhawks first loss of season