Last Updated: Mon Jan 03, 2022 - 2:17AM
Penn-Trafford's Troy Hohman and Mount Pleasant's Dayton Pitzer each captured their first Powerade Wrestling Tournament titles on Thursday at Canon-McMillan High School.
Hohman beat Jack Consiglio of Malvern Prep by a 4-3 decision in the 120-pound final. With the match tied, Hohman scored a one-point escape with only 10 seconds left to secure the victory. The Warriors senior upended Adam Schweitzer in the semifinals by a 4-1 decision. Schweitzer had upset Greater Latrobe junior Vinny Kilkeary in the quarterfinals, winning 2-1.
Kilkeary ended up taking fifth place in the weight class.
Pitzer steamrolled his way to the 215-pound final with four straight first-period falls. He met T.J. Stewart of Blair Academy (NJ) in the championship and won 4-2 in overtime thanks to a reversal. Stewart scored first in the bout on a takedown in the first period but Pitzer fought to earn a pair of escapes to tie it eventually forcing OT.
Pitzer also claimed his 100th career victory in the tournament.
Wyoming Seminary won the team title with ease, totaling 300 points. The powerhouse prep school finished 91 points ahead of second place Malvern Prep which collected 209 points. Waynesburg was the highest scoring WPIAL school, coming in with 137 points and a sixth place finish.
Individually, Hempfield Area's Briar Priest (138) and Franklin Regional's Finn Solomon (145) both captured third place finishes while Burrell's Cooper Hornack (113) and Kiski Area's Enzo Morlacci (160) each came in seventh.
Powerade Championship Results
106: Louie Gill (Hickory) DEC Smith Ayden (Notre Dame GP), 6-4
113: Luke Lilledahl (Wyoming Seminary) DEC Thomas Link (Malvern Prep), 3-0
120: Troy Hohman (Penn Trafford) DEC Jack Consiglio (Malvern Prep), 4-3
126: Vince Bouzakis (Wyoming Seminary) DEC Maddox Shaw (Thomas Jefferson), 5-4
132: Nic Bouzakis (Wyoming Seminary) DEC Mac Church (Waynesburg), 3-2
138: Pierson Manville (State College) DEC Paul Ognissanti (Blair Academy-NJ), 7-3
145: Meyer Shapiro (Wyoming Seminary) DEC Ty Watters (West Allegheny), 7-0
152: Joe Sealey (Wyoming Seminary) MD Nick Kunstek (Blair Academy-NJ), 23-12
160: Nick Fea (Bergen Catholic-NJ) DEC Lorenzo Norman (Blair Academy-NJ), 7-5 SV
172: Brayden Thompson (Lockport-IL) DEC Daniel Wask (Blair Academy-NJ), 3-2 UTB
189: Maclane Stout (Mt. Lebanon) DEC Jude Correa (Wyoming Seminary), 4-2
215: Dayton Pitzer (Mt. Pleasant) DEC Tj Stewart (Blair Academy-NJ), 4-2 TB2
285: Nick Feldman (Malvern Prep) MD Jimmy Mullen (St. Joseph Regional-NJ), 12-0
- Westmoreland Alumni Q&A with Jacob Dunlop The former Belle Vernon wrestling standout was an All-American at Gannon last year
- Four Greater Latrobe wrestlers claim titles at WCCA Wrestling Tournament Priest wins third title while Kilkeary, Solomon and Pitzer claim second championship
- Hohman, Pitzer each capture first Powerade Wrestling Titles Seven Westmoreland County wrestlers claim medals Thursday
- Westmoreland Alumni Q&A with Jaden Datz The former Southmoreland Scottie is a top wrestler at Washington & Jefferson
- Champions crowned at Southmoreland Holiday Wrestling Tournament Butler wins team title with Plum finishing in a close second place Tuesday